When I speak to new and early stage coaches about content creation I can see the overwhelm and frustration takeover their facial reactions.
I've spoken with enough badass entrepreneurs to know that the mention of Facebook Lives, blog posts, emails, and just about any social media channel can send even established coaches into a tailspin.
The First Step To Creating Amazing Content Is Establishing Your Business Goals!
This is the step that most people forgot to really map out before they get started with content. Yes, you can create content to "nurture your tribe" but there are a number of ways you can use content to grow your business.
In this video below, I share how you can use content to reach your business goals.
What are your business goals for the next 90 days? Comment below!
I remember when I signed my first client as if it were yesterday.
I was on the phone with someone who I didn't know was a potential client at the time. In fact, I was asked to hop on the phone with her to talk about a completely different topic.
As the conversation transitioned, my first client - let's call her Jane - started talking to me about her online biz idea. Next thing I know I'm talking to her about how I can support her get there.
Something you should know is that a few days before I sat down and figured out my signature package. I had written down all of the benefits of working with me, the pricing in full and the payment plan. I had typed it up and printed it so that I can look at it later an make any changes. It was as if the Universe knew this phone conversation would take place. Now back to the phone conversation...
Once I realized that I could really help this potential client, I grabbed my signature package print out and read some of the benefits of working with me.
Within minutes we were talking pricing, the special bonus I made up on the fly for signing up with me that week and two days later the money was in my account.
I'm sharing this with you because my first clients came from my own network. People I met in other careers, referrals from friends, and so much more.
If you truly desire to sign your next client, the next person into your group program, onto your membership site, etc. Know that your early sign ups may not come from the online world. They may come from your current network. So don't hesitate to tell EVERYONE who is an ideal client what it is that you do and how you can help them.
Yes I recommend you are still visible online. But it could take someone who doesn't know you well 2 - 3 months before they're willing to invest. Even if that investment doesn't seem like a lot of money to you.
Here are some ideas for signing your first client this month!
- Email everyone you know and let them know you've started your online business. In the email, let them know who your ideal client is, how you can help them, and how they can help you (ie. connect you with leads, have people sign up for free coaching calls, etc.)
- Look up local events for entrepreneurs, while there - practice speaking about your business, who your ideal client is, and what the benefits of working with you are.
- Call people you're very close with, tell them about your business, and ask them if there is anyone they know who would be your ideal client.
- Post on your Facebook Page about your new business, who your ideal client is and ask for referrals.
- Update your LinkedIn Profile so that people are alerted to your new venture.
- Message people on LinkedIn who you feel may be able to connect you with your ideal client.
- Do a Facebook Live about your business, who your ideal client is and how people can learn more.
- Offer free coaching calls or strategy calls to people who are your ideal client and then ask them for referrals afterwards.
Remember, when you're getting started - an ideal client is an ideal client. It doesn't matter if they come to you via online or offline marketing tactics at first. You don't have to neglect the "in person" world to grow your online business. You've SOOOO got this!!!
Have You Noticed An Influx of People Seeking A Career Path Where They Are Fulfilled?
I have recently spoke with many different people who are interested in coaching and really consider it as something that they could do for their career.
And usually their first question is, "What the heck is it like to actually be a coach?"
So what IS it like?
What does it look like?
What does it feel like?
What could it be like?
The biggest obstacle you'll face is yourself.
Thoughts, restrictive beliefs, fears, and doubts may get in the way of you taking action in your business.
Consistent Action Is Key
You don't have to do it alone!
To grow your email list, Facebook group, social media channels, etc. you should have some quality tips and content to give away in exchange for your dream clients email address, Facebook contact information, etc. That's the strategy that most if not all coaches use to grow their trip. Free content in exchange for contact information.
In the marketing world, we call a freebie a lead magnet. This could be a free worksheet, guide, webinar, training, etc. You are currently in the middle of a lead magnet. At some point, you gave me your email address to receive this content. That's what you're going to do for your dream clients.
Need ideas on what your lead magnet should be about? If someone is going to give you their contact information, the key is to focus on providing your dream client with content they want. Here are some ways to confirm what your dream client wants in a lead magnet (aka freebie).
- Post in Facebook Groups with a quick description of your ideal client and ask what their biggest challenge is (in the area that is relevant to your coaching biz)
- If you have anyone on your email list or in your Facebook Group already - ask them!
- Reached out to current or past clients.
- Ask people in your life who are your ideal client! Don't ask you mom or best friend unless they are 100% your dream client.
- Create a survey or a poll and shared it online in different places (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Pay close attention to what your dream clients is speaking about online and says they are struggling with. Read comments in Facebook Groups, on Instagram, etc.
Before you create your freebie - make sure it's relevant to your business and your current offerings. Once your dream client gets your freebie, you'll send them a sequence of emails, messages, etc. to continue to build your relationship with them. Then you'll invite them to work with you.
Here are some ideas for your lead magnet aka freebie:
- Live Video Training (I like to do these in my Facebook Group and send the details via email after people sign up)
- Free Report or Case Study (PDF )
- An Email Course (that's what this is)
- A Challenge
- Live Group Q&A Call With You
- Audio recording
Now to create your freebie you don't need to be complicated - you can create it in Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, Create a Facebook Live and then download it, use Zoom, etc.
Here is a short list of options for Creating Lead Magnets:
But to receive the email addresses of your dream clients, you'll need to create a lead page and have an email sequence. In an earlier blog post I shared how I use Leadpages to create my leadpage and Drip for my email automation system. There are other options for your lead page (also known as opt-in) system. Check out